Beautiful bowl of marvelous mini cupcakes and bokeh via Fucking, Cupcakes.0
I first caught wind of Bright Wishes’ Wednesday Wishes elsewhere, and thought it was a super cute idea…so I figured I’d jump on board, especially since I need a few wishes to come true today now more than ever.
You see, right about this very moment (as I’m typing), I was supposed to be at the airport, checked in, and waiting in the business class lounge for my business class flight (I’m not rich, or a snob…I was just really excited to fly business using my reward miles) to the beautiful Tuscan countryside in Italy. Except I’m not. I’m at home, sitting on my couch NOT going to Italy….the whole trip had to be canceled at the last minute. So while I’m trying not to get charged bogus cancellation fees, here are a few things I’m wishing for this Wednesday, April 20, 2011:
1. Health. I’m not going to get into details, but I wish (with all my heart) for a clean (or at least a tidied up) bill of health, especially for those I care about most.
2. Vacation. I was so looking forward to going away, relaxing and generally just escaping real life for a few weeks. Waking up this morning and taking things out of my ready-to-go suitcase was kind of like a cruel joke. We need to re-book our canceled flights asap so as not to lose them…so I’m wishing that we can plan and book an even better vacation that’ll leave our canceled trip a distant memory. And soon!
3. Interior design savvy. Since I need to stay positive, I’m trying to think happy thoughts about our new house, and how I’m going to put our mark on it, and make it a home. So I’m wishing for a little interior design inspiration to ensure that all of those bungled up ideas that look great in my head will come together once we take possession and look great in reality, too… [ source ].
4. Boxes. Yeah, we left a bunch of stuff packed when we moved to the temporary apartment, but we’ve gone and accumulated more stuff. Or else our stuff is just less organized. I’m not sure which, truthfully. But what I *do* know is that additional boxes might come in handy. So I wish for good, sturdy, moving boxes.
5. Spring temperatures. To stay. I can put up with the rain, but a high of only 1º Celsius today? On April 20? Are you kidding me?! I wish for seasonal temperatures and seasonal precipitation…no more of these almost freezing days with the risk of snow. Please.
And I think that just about wraps it up! What are you wishing for this Wednesday?0
The last couple of weeks or so have been an absolute flurry of stress and activity…studying for exams, taking exams, making offers and counter-offers on a house, getting a mortgage approval with one bank…ditching them and going with another one. It’s been hectic, to say the least.
Which is why I’m a little late thanking the wonderful Deja from Atomic Chic! for bestowing upon me the I Love This Blog award! Thank you so much Deja! Please check out Deja’s blog, if you haven’t already – she’s got great taste, great fashion, and great inspiration!
As the recipient of this honour, however, I now have certain responsibilities. There are rules if you’re tagged with the I Love This Blog award, and they are as follows:
1. Thank the person who gave you the award
2. Share 7 random bits about yourself
3. Pass the award on to a few of your favourite blogs
(And don’t forget to let them know!)
So, without further ado, I love the following blogs/tumblrs:
And now for a few random bits about me…
Seven Random Things About Andrea
Were those random enough? Hope so…and I hope you enjoyed learning a little more about me! I had fun trying to decide what to share, and putting it all together.0
Do you remember birthday parties way back when? You went to someone’s party, brought them a gift, and got a loot bag in return…more often than not, you got it only when you left the party, allowing you to prolong the sugar rush and excitement of the day long after you got home.
Thinking about it, it seemed a fair trade. A very simple social contract of “give and take” with the knowledge that eventually it’d be your turn to receive the gifts, and in return, give away your own excellent loot bags.
[ image source ]
Having no kids of my own, I haven’t really thought about loot bags much (except that I can’t even fathom what our parents did to fill them before dollar stores). Until recently, that is.
One of my boy’s aunts loves to give away loot bags (though I’m not sure she’d call them that…I haven’t actually met her yet). Like this one my boy and I received for Easter:
As you can see, these are no ordinary loot bags….they’re a *little* larger than the ones you might expect from a birthday party, and filled with far more varied (and mostly more grown-up) items, wrapped up in pretty boxes, bags, and tissue paper.
Unfortunately, everything was unwrapped long before I could snap a photo…but here are the contents of this years’ Easter loot:
Starting at the top left: Easter bunny clips; two mini bird vases; pretty yellow fake flowers; a fridge magnet pad and pen (featuring cardinals); matching cardinal napkins; a magnetized vase (or pen holder); a “Happy Easter” sign; Laura Secord Easter egg; super cute pink bird notebook; floral tissue paper; cat key hook, homemade marmalade, and a small cat wallet…and the reusable bag, of course!
So much fun! Thanks a bunch, Aunt P.!0
I’ve been having a hard time focusing these last couple of weeks…it seems no matter what I want to do, I don’t have the energy, the time, or (at that very moment) the inclination to embark on, well….anything new or too time consuming. There’s a part of me that thinks maybe I’m suffering from the winter doldrums (also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder).
Or maybe I’m just lazy.
Needless to say, I’ve become extremely adept at procrastinating…every time I think of doing something productive or creative…I don’t.
Usually one of the following top 5 usual suspects wins out for my time:
Usual Suspect #1: PlayStation
My playstation is by far the biggest eater of my precious waking hours…not only does it offer hours and hours of continued interactive enjoyment, but with a decent selection of games at my disposal it offers a multitude of worlds in which I can get caught up and lost in….and considering I’m just sitting around procrastinating, these make-believe worlds seem far more interesting than my own couch potato reality.
Usual Suspect #2: Google Reader
I really enjoy blogs and am always on the lookout for new and interesting reads. But I am, unfortunately, way past the point of being able to reasonably keep on top of them all. So far past it that my total “unread” items has 4 digits (eep!). Having all of these unread posts works very well when I am actively trying not to do other things.
Usual Suspect #3: Etsy
Oh Etsy…how do I love thee? Apparently, I love thee a little too much. I spend hours on end just browsing what other creative people (who actually manage to create, rather than procrastinate) are offering, or exploring the many vintage goodies for sale. And the fact that daily temptations are delivered directly to my inbox? I don’t have the willpower to resist.
Usual Suspect #4: Pinterest
I was probably a little too excited when I finally received my invitation to join Pinterest…I scour the site regularly for inspiration and (let’s face it) just for fun. I’m amazed that I can see the same pin over and over, and not consider it boring (why is that?!).
Usual Suspect #5: TripAdvisor
I have a fickle romance with TripAdvisor…if I’m not going anywhere, then I want nothing to do with it. But if I am….(and I am….), I have an obsessive relationship with it. I can’t finalize any of my travel plans without first consulting with that sultry goddess of reviews. Current destination: Italy…have I made any decisions where to stay? Nope…because I haven’t over-examined every single possibility yet.
There. Now that I’ve officially recognized that I am a slave to the above procrastination temptresses, maybe I can finally get my act together and do something.0